Filing for Support in Delaware County

Posted by Joseph Lento | Dec 28, 2016 | 0 Comments

How do I file for Child Support in Delaware County?

In order to begin the process of obtaining Child Support through the Delaware County Domestic Relations Office, an "Application for Support" along with a "Complaint for Support" must be filed with the Domestic Relations Office. The Initial "Petition," plus four (4) copies, must be filed will be filed with the Domestic Relation Office's Court Unit located in the basement of the Curran Building. No filing fee is required for an "Initial Complaint." One (1) copy will be returned to the "Petitioner," who is the filing party, also known as the "Plaintiff" or "obligee," who must serve the with the Complaint as well as notice of the date assignment to the "Respondent," who is the opposing party, also known as the "Defendant" or the "obligor." 

After filing is completed and one (1) copy is returned, the Child Support matter will be assigned to a Domestic Relations Office (DRO) caseworker who will be responsible for overseeing the Child Support case in Media.

Child Support cases in Delaware County are heard at the Domestic Relations Division, which is located in the Curran Building.   The Curran Building is part of the Delaware County Courthouse Complex and is located at Second and Orange Streets, Media, PA 19063.  The DRO hours are from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.  The Client Information Center / Interactive Voice Response (IVR) can be contacted at 610-891-4314.

The Delaware County Domestic Relations Office is located at:

Next, the Delaware County Domestic Relations Office will send a "Notice to Appear" to both parties and the parties' attorneys of record prior to the support conference date. If the filing party or the filing party's attorney fails to serve the opposing party, however, this notice cannot be used as a substitute for service because the Domestic Relations Office will not copy and serve the entire petition. Along with the court hearing notice, both parties will receive an "income and expense statement." This statement does not need to be completed at the time of the initial support conference. However, if a party is seeking a deviation from the Pennsylvania Child Support guidelines, then he or she should complete the income and expense statement for the Master's Hearing.

Because both Petitioners and Respondents are often represented by attorney for Child Support cases, parties' attorneys should understand the specific provisions of Family Law practice at Delaware County Family Court.  Specifically, if a party's attorney would like to receive notice of the Child Support hearing and receive copies of any "Orders," a "Request for Notification" is required. A party's attorney may withdraw their appearance with respect to a Child Support matter without leave of Court. The attorney must simply file a "Request for Termination of Notification."

An additional important consideration when filing for Child Support in Delaware County is that all support "Pleadings" filed with the Domestic Relations Office must have the "Rule" page and the current Child Support "Order" attached, if applicable. If a party's attorney has any questions regarding filing requirements, the Attorney Liaison at the Delaware County Domestic Relations Office should be contact at 610-891-8007. 

How do I file for Spousal Support or Alimony Pendente Lite in Delaware County?

As with child support, a party filing for Spousal Support (which is sought when the parties are separated and potentially before a divorce is pending), or "Alimony Pendente Lite," also known as "APL" (alimony while the divorce is pending), must file an "Application for Alimony Pendente Lite" along with a "Petition for Alimony Pendente Lite" and/or a "Petition for Interim Counsel Fees and Expenses" with the Delaware County Domestic Relations Office.

After the "Petition for APL" is filed, the case will be immediately scheduled for a Master's Hearing, not an intake conference. If Spousal Support is requested, rather than Alimony Pendente Lite, the issue of Spousal Support will be heard at the intake conference. At the intake Conference, if the Obligor denies entitlement, the Caseworker will not enter an award of Spousal Support and will schedule a Master's Hearing for a later date. Parties should be advised, however, that the caseworker has the authority to transfer the matter to a Support Hearing Officer (Master) scheduled for that day if an entitlement defense is raised.

The hearings regarding Alimony Pendente Lite, counsel fees and costs follow the same format as support hearings before the Support Hearing Officer. The Support Hearing Officer will hear the issue of interim counsel fees and costs at the same time as the Alimony Pendente Lite hearing.

Parties should note that all APL Orders are collected through the Domestic Relations Office unless the Order specifically states otherwise. Payments are made through the Pennsylvania Automated Child Support Enforcement System in Harrisburg, also known as the PASCES Program, and the Domestic Relations Office maintains the records the same as the support records.

Delaware County Child Support Attorney | Media Spousal Support Attorney

Whether the party seeking child support, spousal support, or alimony pendente lite, or the party who the complaint is against, you must protect your interests.  A party who is in financial need of child support to provide for his or her children, or a spouse who is financial need to maintain his or her standard of living before a divorce is filed or while a divorce is pending, must understand the process that Delaware County Family Court uses to decide not only whether support should be granted, but whether a support filing will be accepted.  An attorney experienced with Delaware County child support, spousal support, APL practice and procedure will be a valuable resource as you prepare to file, and when you have your day in Court.  Contact LLF Law Firm today to learn how we can help.

About the Author

Joseph Lento

"I pride myself on having heart and driving hard to get results!" Attorney Joseph D. Lento is a veteran of one of the nation's busiest family courts with nearly 20 years' experience passionately helping families. By day, he worked in the trenches of family court, and at night, he studied the law. He helped countless families while working at family court, and he went on to become an attorney, dedicating his law practice to continuing the work he started years earlier. Mr. Lento's experience both behind the scenes and on the front lines allows him to understand a client's family law matter from all angles, and allows him to find and employ the most effective strategies to get favorable outcomes for any client. Joseph D. Lento is licensed in Pennsylvania New Jersey, and New York, and is admitted pro hac vice as needed nationwide. In the courtroom and in life, attorney Joseph D. Lento stands up when the bell rings!


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact a skilled Family Law Team Today!

The LLF Law Firm has unparalleled experience practicing Family Law in Pennsylvania. If you are having any uncertainties about what the future may hold for you and your family, contact our offices today. Our Family Law Team will go above and beyond the needs for any client and fight for what is fair.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.