Montgomery County Family Court

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, commonly referred to as “Montco” is home to over 800,000 residents and a number of townships and municipalities. The Court of Common Pleas in Montgomery County is the highest available court, and holds six divisions: Judges, Civil, Criminal, Family, Juvenile, and Orphans'. The Family Division is also known as the Domestic Relations division. All proceedings in the court are to be held within Montgomery County's courthouse, located at 2 East Airy Street in Norristown, Pennsylvania. The court is open from 8:30 am to 4:15 pm on business days. The court has 20 judges in service, and 7 senior judges, as well as 2 judges for the Orphans' Court.

Family Court in Montgomery County

The Family Division, or Domestic Relations, as it is known, is in charge of all Family Law matters in Montgomery County. The Domestic Relations division is designed to handle cases of divorce, support for children and spouses, temporary and permanent alimony, division of marital property, child custody, and even services to protect victims of domestic abuse. The court website offers online payment for child support obligations.

The Family Court Process

In order for a case to be considered by the court, all parties involved must go through a brief intake process. This is essentially the filing of your case. You will want to have help from an attorney, while filing your papers. Depending on your case, the court demands a number of documents before your case can officially be filed with the court. You will have to attend an “intake appointment” where you will need to produce a number of documents, including:

  • social security cards
  • birth certificates
  • photo ID
  • proof of address
  • employer information
  • divorce decree/marriage license
  • proof of income
  • proof of medical insurance coverage

Additional documentation may be necessary, depending on your case. You may need documentation such as daycare costs, or information regarding the other parent if your case deals with custody or a demand for support. Once you have your documents in order, you will attend your intake interview. The intake interviewer will answer any questions you have about your case. From here, your case will either go to a conference of a hearing. If a solution cannot be reached at a conference, it will likely move forward to hearing with a hearing officer, who is appointed by the judge, to make the determination. At this stage, if you do not already have the representation of an attorney, you should seek out a Family Law attorney immediately. If you disagree with your results from the hearing, you may file an exception to the hearing officer, and you will have an appearance before a judge.

Once a hearing is scheduled, all parties involved in the matter must attend. Failure to attend court can result in fines or imprisonment.

Important Considerations for Child Custody

When it comes to children, it can be hard for parents to come to an agreement in the middle of a divorce. In instances where they're unable to decide, the matter will go to the Family Matters court in Montgomery County. The courts will do their best to discover what is in the “best interest of the child” by looking at several factors.

The factors that they explore are designed specifically to help them answer that question, and so there are many components that the courts consider. Here are some of them.

  1. Can the parents work together for the child's benefit? How is their communication?
  2. How close will the two parents live from each other? Is the distance conducive to visits and easy transition for the child?
  3. How close are the homes to the child's current school? Will they be able to continue attending the same school?
  4. How available is each parent to care for the child? Are there siblings or other relatives who are also involved in the care?
  5. Have there been instances of abuse involving either parent, whether physical or sexual abuse?
  6. Has one parent tried to alienate the other parent from the child since the separation?
  7. Does either parent have a history of substance abuse, whether alcohol or drugs?

Once the courts feel they have a clear understanding of what is best for the child, they will usually decide legal and physical custody.

Physical custody determines where the child will reside, and for how long (if joint custody). Legal custody is the aspect that allows parents to make legal decisions for the child. For example, this might include deciding on medical treatments, religious beliefs/upbringing, or education.

Protection from Abuse Orders in Montgomery County

There are three types of protection from abuse (PFA) orders that an individual can obtain: a temporary PFA, an emergency PFA, and a final PFA. Before exploring the distinctions between the different types, it's best to first understand the basics of what a PFA is.

A PFA is a civil court order that an individual applies for when they are fearful of bodily injury from someone they live with. Often, their concerns include sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, and so on. The court order is available for anyone who has a domestic relationship with the named individual. Some common examples of relationships that might fall under this umbrella are:

  1. biological siblings
  2. spouses, former spouses, partners, former partners
  3. a child of the named individual
  4. a family member related by blood relationship or marriage (such as an aunt, uncle, grandparent, etc.)

In Montgomery County, to file for a temporary PFA, you'll want to go to the courthouse in Norristown, Monday–Friday between 8:30 am and 1:30 pm. You do not have to pay to file the petition for a temporary PFA. A judge may or may not grant the PFA; regardless, there will be a hearing within ten business days. At that hearing, the attending judge will determine whether or not to issue a Final PFA, which can last for up to three years.

In instances where an individual is not able to file for the temporary PFA, they can request an emergency PFA from the magisterial judge that is on call.

Experienced Family Court Attorneys in Montgomery County 

If you or a loved one is involved in matters of Family Law in Montgomery County, contact our Family Law Team and the LLF Law Firm today via phone: 888.535.3686. You can also contact our Family Law Team and the Firm through the online form. You don't have to face these emotionally trying times alone. With our Family Law Team by your side, you can rest easy, knowing you have someone who will fight for you and your loved ones.

Contact a skilled Family Law Team Today!

The LLF Law Firm has unparalleled experience practicing Family Law in Pennsylvania. If you are having any uncertainties about what the future may hold for you and your family, contact our offices today. Our Family Law Team will go above and beyond the needs for any client and fight for what is fair.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.