Is It Possible to Get a Protection From Abuse Order Against a Neighbor?

Whether you live in a suburban ranch, a gated community, a seaside cottage, a trailer park, an apartment building, or a luxury condominium, chances are you've experienced at least one annoying neighbor. Sometimes neighbors are simply a nuisance: they let their dog bark at all hours, blare their terrible music, or let their lawn turn into an unkempt jungle. Other times, the people living next door are simply too close for comfort. But disagreements between neighbors can also turn very ugly—or even deadly.

Pennsylvania residents may recall the recent case of three people in Plains Township who began arguing in the aftermath of a February 2021 snowstorm. While shoveling out their parking spots, James and Lisa Goy were said to have been throwing snow onto the property of James Spaide, a neighbor who had been embroiled in a feud with the Goys. A shouting match ensued, but it wasn't long before Spaide ducked into his home, returning a few moments later with a gun. Before other neighbors could intervene, said investigators, the 47-year-old shot and killed James Goy, 50, and Lisa Goy, 48, before going back inside and turning the gun on himself.

When you fear that the guy or girl next door could cause you physical harm, what action can you take to protect yourself and your family? Is it possible to get a Protection from Abuse (PFA) order against a neighbor? Let's take a closer look.

Requirements for Filing a PFA Order

A Protection from Abuse order, also known as a restraining order, is a document issued by a judge and filed in Family Court. Each one is unique to the parties involved and can therefore set forth different directives, but most of them order the defendant to stop harming and/or threatening the plaintiff, to cease all contact with the plaintiff, and to stay a certain distance away from the plaintiff's home (as well as any other location they must frequent, such as a school, office, workplace, etc.).

In order to file for such an order in the state of Pennsylvania, the plaintiff and defendant must be related by marriage, related by blood, the parents of a biological child, or partners in an intimate relationship, either current or former. It's important to note that an intimate relationship can describe people who are simply dating; “intimate” does not have to mean a committed relationship or one that is sexual in nature.

An adult parent or legal guardian can also file a Protection from Abuse order on behalf of a minor child or minor children who are at risk from the abuser's actions and behavior.

What About Abusive Neighbors?

Let's say that a former intimate partner, a relative, an in-law, or your child's father—anyone with whom you have an established relationship of the type specified above—has moved into the place next door. In that case, yes, it would conceivably be possible to file for, and be granted, a Protection from Abuse order naming that individual.

In other instances, however, when there is no pre-existing relationship with a neighbor through marriage, family ties, or intimacy, it's unlikely that you'll be able to have them served with a PFA.

However, You Do Have Some Recourse

Although a Protection from Abuse order may not be appropriate, you still have some options if you feel afraid of and threatened by your neighbor. Depending on the situation and the specific actions that your neighbor is taking, however, you'll have to go about things a little differently. Most neighbor disputes—say, a verbal argument over a noise disturbance—are classified as civil matters. It is possible to sue them in small claims court, in which case you'd want to consult with a civil claims attorney.

Should the neighbor begin to stalk you, threaten you with violence, send you intimidating letters, emails, or texts, or inflict harm or damage on you, your pets, or your property, it may be possible to have them charged with criminal offenses. In these cases, contact local law enforcement. You may also be able to file a private criminal complaint. Often this process is initiated by contacting your county's District Attorney's Office for help.

If you're engaged in a dispute about your property, such as where property lines fall, consulting with a real estate lawyer is the appropriate action.

We Can Help You Get the Help You Need

No one wants to feel afraid of their neighbor. Our homes are our refuges from the world at large, and when we come home, it's important to feel safe and secure in order to relax and rest. In the event that a neighbor's behavior feels frightening or you think you're being harassed, give us a call. We can advise you as to whether or not you might be eligible to file for a protective order and give you the guidance you need to move forward toward safety and justice.

Contact attorney the LLF Law Firm or call 888-535-3686.

Contact a skilled Family Law Team Today!

The LLF Law Firm has unparalleled experience practicing Family Law in Pennsylvania. If you are having any uncertainties about what the future may hold for you and your family, contact our offices today. Our Family Law Team will go above and beyond the needs for any client and fight for what is fair.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.