When Your Ex’s New Partner Disrupts Custody

Posted by Joseph Lento | Apr 06, 2023 | 0 Comments

It's not unusual for an ex-spouse to date again after a divorce or to end up in a relationship where their new boyfriend or girlfriend becomes a regular part of their lives. In the vast majority of cases, this is fine, and while there may be some discomfort among the children you and your ex share about this new person in their lives, there's really nothing to worry about.

There are times, however, where the ex's new “significant other” may be a bad influence on your children or, worse, a danger to them. Perhaps the person drinks too much, consumes excessive amounts of recreational drugs, or hangs around questionable types of people. Or maybe the individual has a violent temper or appears to be taking an unhealthy interest in one of your children. It's when this happens that things can get difficult and, frankly, a bit scary, and you wonder what can be done about it.

Protecting the Best Interests of Your Children Comes First

Of course, there is sometimes a fine line between resenting a new person in your ex's life and having a real concern that this person is not someone who should be left unsupervised with your children. But if you have genuine concerns that are based on actual, verifiable facts, you need to act on those to protect your children.

This is when you want to consider modifying a custody agreement. A custody agreement goes into detail about where and with whom the children from the marriage are going to spend their time and it will also state who is allowed to make important decisions about the children's future. Whenever a situation arises in the life of either custodial parent that could adversely affect the welfare of the children, custody agreements or orders can be changed so as to protect the welfare of the children.

The welfare of the children – that's the key focus of any custody agreement. What is in the best interests of the child? And if a situation arises that threatens the best interests of the children, you owe it to your children to take action. In some cases, that will mean contacting your spouse and trying to work it out between the two of you first before making changes to the custody agreement. In other cases, you may need to work with your spouse's attorney instead. And in some situations, you may need to go to court to ask a judge to make the changes.

You Need the Help of an Experienced Legal Team

As you can see, things can get complicated very quickly, and when you're dealing with a situation involving a new boyfriend or girlfriend in your ex-spouses' life, matters can also get very emotional. This is where it helps tremendously to have the advice of the Family Law Team. The LLF Law Firm,  Family Law Team, have years of experience with exactly these kinds of sensitive situations. They understand how the law works, and how important it is to make sure that the best interests of your children come first.

If you have any concerns at all that a new partner in your ex-spouse's life may be a bad influence on your children or could harm them in any way, contact the LLF Law Firm Family Law Team at once to discuss your concerns and learn more about how they can help. Call today at 888.535.3686, or reach out online to set up a consultation.

About the Author

Joseph Lento

"I pride myself on having heart and driving hard to get results!" Attorney Joseph D. Lento is a veteran of one of the nation's busiest family courts with nearly 20 years' experience passionately helping families. By day, he worked in the trenches of family court, and at night, he studied the law. He helped countless families while working at family court, and he went on to become an attorney, dedicating his law practice to continuing the work he started years earlier. Mr. Lento's experience both behind the scenes and on the front lines allows him to understand a client's family law matter from all angles, and allows him to find and employ the most effective strategies to get favorable outcomes for any client. Joseph D. Lento is licensed in Pennsylvania New Jersey, and New York, and is admitted pro hac vice as needed nationwide. In the courtroom and in life, attorney Joseph D. Lento stands up when the bell rings!


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact a skilled Family Law Team Today!

The LLF Law Firm has unparalleled experience practicing Family Law in Pennsylvania. If you are having any uncertainties about what the future may hold for you and your family, contact our offices today. Our Family Law Team will go above and beyond the needs for any client and fight for what is fair.

This website was created only for general information purposes. It is not intended to be construed as legal advice for any situation. Only a direct consultation with a licensed Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York attorney can provide you with formal legal counsel based on the unique details surrounding your situation. The pages on this website may contain links and contact information for third party organizations - the Lento Law Firm does not necessarily endorse these organizations nor the materials contained on their website. In Pennsylvania, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout Pennsylvania's 67 counties, including, but not limited to Philadelphia, Allegheny, Berks, Bucks, Carbon, Chester, Dauphin, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Schuylkill, and York County. In New Jersey, attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New Jersey's 21 counties: Atlantic, Bergen, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Salem, Somerset, Sussex, Union, and Warren County, In New York, Attorney Joseph D. Lento represents clients throughout New York's 62 counties. Outside of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York, unless attorney Joseph D. Lento is admitted pro hac vice if needed, his assistance may not constitute legal advice or the practice of law. The decision to hire an attorney in Philadelphia, the Pennsylvania counties, New Jersey, New York, or nationwide should not be made solely on the strength of an advertisement. We invite you to contact the Lento Law Firm directly to inquire about our specific qualifications and experience. Communicating with the Lento Law Firm by email, phone, or fax does not create an attorney-client relationship. The Lento Law Firm will serve as your official legal counsel upon a formal agreement from both parties. Any information sent to the Lento Law Firm before an attorney-client relationship is made is done on a non-confidential basis.